On this page
Key international statistics
The latest Tourism Research Australia International Visitor Survey data for the year ending March 2023.
Key results for the year ending March 2023 (released June 2023) include:
- International overnight expenditure in Victoria was $4.2 billion in the year ending March 2023, back to 49% of the pre-COVID year ending March 2019 level.
- International overnight visitors to Victoria reached 1.4 million in the year ending March 2023, which was 46% of the year ending March 2019 result.
- International visitor nights in Victoria were more than halfway back to the pre-pandemic performance (55% of the 2019 level) at 39.6 million nights in the year ending March 2023.
Next International Visitor Survey release will be in September 2023.
Find out more at Tourism Research Australia.
International tourism data
Explore tourism data for Victoria and key visitor markets of origin. View by time period and filter by spend, visitors and nights.
International data dashboard
Explore tourism data for Victoria and key visitor markets of origin.
Notes: Data sourced from the International Visitor Survey (IVS) produced by Tourism Research Australia. IVS data includes international short-term visitors (less than 12 months) aged 15+ years.
International education visitors captured in the IVS are defined as those that stay in Australia for less than one continuous year (as such not all international students are incorporated in this definition).
Due to survey limitations because of international border closures during the pandemic, regional-level international data is not currently available for 2021-23 estimates.
Due care is taken in the production of this information. However, DJSIR accepts no responsibility for the use of this data. Figures may not add due to rounding.
International market data
Explore Victoria’s international markets. This is based on year ending December 2019 data (pre-pandemic).
International market dashboard
Explore the top 20 international markets to Victoria ranked on spend.
Overseas arrivals and departures data
Monthly international data is collected on persons arriving in and departing from Australia. This includes usual place of residence, main state of stay and purpose of visit.
Overseas arrivals and departures dashboard
Explore monthly overseas arrivals and departures data for Victoria.
Other international research
Tourism Australia produces a range of information on international visitation research and market intelligence including market segmentation studies, visitor profiles and aviation information.
Tourism Research Australia has also produced reports on international visitors including:
- Chinese Free and Independent Travellers – their potential for Regional Australia released March 2019.
- Visiting friends and relatives (focus on China and India markets) released 2017.
For further information please email email@example.com