If you operate a business which primarily attracts and caters for visitors from outside your local area, you may be eligible for road signing.
If you would like a road sign for your tourism business, you will need to consider the following points:
- There are two types of road signs available for tourism businesses: (1) white text on brown background for tourism attractions and (2) white text on a blue background for tourism services
- Motorists can only absorb a limited amount of information when travelling at speed
- Tourism roads signs are not advertising signs nor are they for advertising purposes
- To qualify for road signs, businesses must first meet a set of quality standards
- Eligibility does not automatically guarantee entitlement to tourism road signs as other factors will be considered by the road authorities
- There are different rules for tourist attractions and services located in built-up areas and for signing from urban and rural freeways
- Businesses will need to factor into their planning that the overall process from application to manufacture and installation may take up to 3 - 4 months (even longer) from start to finish
- If successful, businesses will be required to meet the costs associated with the provision of the sign(s), including maintenance.