Tourism and Events Information for Victoria’s tourism industry

Resources for support and advice

After a crisis there are support and advice services available to you.

Financial advice and support


Talk to your accountant about the financial position of your business.

Australian Taxation Office

The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) can provide a range of support measures to assist you in a crisis. Find out more by visiting the Australian Tax Office Support in difficult times web page.

Financial institutions

Contact your financial institution to discuss your financial situation and possible emergency relief and support measures. The Australian Banking Association (ABA) has prepared a factsheet on assistance banks can provide if you are experiencing financial difficulties.


A major crisis may mean the government provides financial support that could assist you through a time of low turnover.

Government financial assistance is generally made available to businesses who have been directly impacted. Those indirectly impacted are not typically eligible for such assistance.

  • Check what grants, support services and disaster assistance that are available on the Grants & programs section of the Business Victoria website.
  • For general tips on making the most of your money, visit the Australian Security and Investments Commission (ASIC) MoneySmart website.

Industry associations

Industry associations can often assist with information on employment contracts, alternative suppliers, and consultants who may be able to help you manage your business during and after a crisis.

The Victoria Tourism Industry Council (VTIC) may provide information and resources such as training to assist regions and businesses affected by a crisis.

  • VTIC’s Industry Support Hub has a range of sector-specific resources and information to support businesses, including crisis information, training programs, grant opportunities and a concierge service.

Business advice and support


Examine your legal responsibilities with a lawyer. They can help interpret employment contracts, leases, contracts of supply, insurance policies, and give advice on your legal options.


You can find a lawyer near you through the Law Institute of Victoria's Legal Referral Service. All law firms included in the Legal Referral Service provide a free 30-minute interview.

Find a Lawyer Legal Referral Service through the Law Institute of Victoria website.

Business adviser

A business adviser is useful if you wish to explore new markets, or you need help to decide if you will continue your business, or understand at what capacity you can operate in to be viable.

Small Business Mentoring Service

The Small Business Mentoring Service (SBMS) is a not-for-profit association providing small business operators with the opportunity to learn from experienced mentors. All mentors are volunteers, and have either owned their own small business or worked in an organisation with strong links to small business.

For a minimal cost, Victorian small businesses can access the experience of the SBMS mentors.

Company fees and records

The Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) may be able to assist if your business is having difficulty meeting company obligations due to a crisis.

Victorian Small Business Commissioner

The Victorian Small Business Commission (VSBC) has information on a range of small business issues.

It also offers a dispute resolution service for businesses in dispute with other businesses or with the government, often at no cost to either party. Businesses with certain disputes (for example, over retail leases) may be required to use this service before they can go to court.

Industrial and workplace relations

The Fair Work Ombudsman has published a factsheet on employment entitlements during disasters or emergencies. You can phone the Fair Work Infoline on 13 13 94.

Industry associations such as the Victorian Chamber can provide advice on workplace relations.

For more information on employee advice, visit our managing staff page.

Insurer or insurance broker

If you have questions about your insurance policy or need to find out who your insurer is, you can call the Insurance Council of Australia's disaster hotline on 1800 734 621.

The Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) offers a free service that aims to resolve disputes between consumers and participating insurance companies.

If you're having a dispute with your insurance company, call 1300 780 808 or visit the AFCA website.

For more information on insurance during a crisis event, visit our protect your investments page.

Emotional and mental health support


Lifeline offers confidential emotional and crisis support 24 hours a day. Call 13 11 14 or visit the Lifeline website.

Beyond Blue

Beyondblue can also help people suffering from depression or anxiety. To learn more, visit the Beyond Blue website.

Family, friends or community members

Seek help from family or friends. You could also consider talking to other affected businesses in your local community to find an arrangement that will benefit both of parties.

For more information on looking after yourself during a crisis event, visit our protect your investments page.

Page last updated: 28 Aug 2023
Back to top
Australian aboriginal flag

We acknowledge the Aboriginal Traditional Owners of Country throughout Victoria, their ongoing connection to this land and we pay our respects to their culture and their Elders past, present and future.

© 2023 Department of Jobs, Skills, Industry and Regions

This page was printed at: