Use the Crisis Essentials checklist below to understand how prepared you are to respond and recover effectively from a crisis event.
- Prepared an emergency management plan for your business?
- Secured adequate insurance coverage for your business to cover issues such as asset damage and loss and business interruption
- Identified the emergency management arrangements for your area and made contact with local emergency services?
- Compiled a list of who to contact and how you will stay informed in the event of an emergency?
- Developed policies and procedures to deal with cancellations, postponements or forward bookings?
- Listed your business with the nearest accredited Visitor Information Centre and/or the database of your regional and local tourism associations?
- Identified the protocol for working with the media during an emergency especially the need for a sole regional spokesperson on tourism?
If you’ve answered yes to 7 or 8 questions – you're well on your way to deal effectively with a crisis. Spend time reviewing the respond section to ensure you're ready to act in an emergency.
If you’ve answered yes to 5 or 6 questions – your business is quite well prepared, but you need to undertake some tasks to increase your capacity to cope with an emergency. Spend time reviewing the emergency planning section.
If you’ve answered yes to 4 or fewer questions – you don't currently have adequate processes in place to respond effectively to a crisis, and your preparation requires urgent attention. Spend time reviewing the managing risk section and develop a risk management plan.